Sweet Potato Chickpea Veggie Burger
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained
1 large sweet potato (peeled, cubed, boiled and mashed)
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
bread crumbs (I use Panko)
1. Peel sweet potato, cut into cubes, add to a medium sized pan and cover potatoes with cold water. Place pan over medium high heat and boil until tender. Strain the potatoes and add to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher.
2. Add chickpeas (drained) to the potatoes and mash them into the potatoes. I do this by hand that way the chickpeas do not get watery by using a blender.
3. Add red pepper flakes, raw honey, lemon juice, and whole wheat flour. Mix well. If you are unable to form a patty, add a bit more whole wheat flour. It will be soft but you need to be able to form patties.
4. Using a large pan add enough olive oil to coat it. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
5. Add bread crumbs to a medium sized bowl. Using a 1/4 cup of the potato mixture form patties. I was able to make 6 patties. Add one patty at a time into the bread crumb bowl and generously coat each patty with bread crumbs.
6. Add each patty to the pan. Cook until browned on both sides.